Our blog has moved! Please visit www.theclairmontfamily.com.

Background

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Grateful

I decided to study and learn more about gratitude and thankfulness this month since I was beginning to feel down. In the process, I thought it fitting to make a list of what I am grateful for. I thought about setting a goal of how long I wanted the list to be, but since I’m so goal oriented, for me it would become like a game of scategories, writing every item that pops to the top of my head. I didn’t want to just list items for the sake of listing them, I really wanted to meditate on gratitude and think through what I was writing. I struggled with what it meant to “give thanks always and for everything” (Ephesians 5:20). As I made breakfast this morning, I pondered, am I thankful for Peanut Butter? I use it every morning to spread on my toast, I love the taste, but am I truly “thankful” for it? Could I live without it? Would my life really be any different if peanut butter wasn’t in my life? Probably not. But I am thankful for access to healthy and nutritious food, to have the knowledge to know what a balanced diet is and to have the means and opportunity to nourish my body with food. So while peanut butter didn’t make my list of being thankful, it reminded me of the many blessings I have and to give thanks to my heavenly Father for providing for me. How often do I focus on what I want rather than on all that I have? I don’t think Paul meant I had to be thankful FOR everything, but that no matter the situation, I have reasons to be thankful and to give praise to God.

We are still waiting for a referral and haven’t moved on the list in over a month (still number 5). After the referral it will be more waiting, possibly up to a year. The waiting is longer than we initially thought and hoped, and I’ve finally reached a place where I can be thankful in the waiting because of all that I’m learning. I’ve been challenged to trust God in ways I’ve never had to. I’m reading a book called One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp, she reminds me that “It’s only when you live the prayer of thanksgiving that you live the power of trusting God.” I’ve witnesses these words in action in my own life – as I’ve focuses on gratitude, my trust in the God of the universe has multiplied. A dear friend reminded me to never despise anything that drives you to your knees. It’s so easy to get discouraged, to whine, to feel entitled, and to sink further into the dark hole of discontentment. As I give thanks for anything and everything, it brings me step by step closer to the light and into the freedom of breathing the fresh air of gratitude and trust.

Thank you for……..
1. Saving Grace
2. A husband who loves the Lord and me
3. Crisp morning air that takes your breath away
4. A creative creator
8. A sister who is a best friend
23. A house to call a home
25. Friends that point me to scripture
38. A God who supplies my every need
41. Broken hearts on bended knee

No comments:

Post a Comment